I&C - Chapter 5 - Empire City
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 3:32 pm
Chapter 5
Empire City
Nick climbs out of the Mark V, dusting off his hands as he heads toward the bar. He’s not sure what’s going on, but if there’s trouble brewing, he intends to be in the middle of it.
Mavis notices a hovercycle rolling up, ridden by a grackle‑tooth with a grin sharp enough to cut rope. The creature hops off and calls out in a deep, cheerful voice, “Howdy!”
Before anyone can respond, the overweight town sheriff groans loudly. “What’re ya doin’ bringin’ that big hunk of tin into our town?” He jabs a finger at the APC. “You ain’t even Coalition. If they see that thing here, they’ll level the place for treason! Get it outta here, then you can come back!”
The townsfolk murmur agreement, arms crossed, eyes narrowed.
Nick shrugs. “Sorry, sir. Where should we park it?”
Mavis raises an eyebrow. “How often do the Coalition fly over your peaceful little town, Sheriff? And what was your name again?”
Kival strolls up, kicking sand off his boots. “Wouldn’t mind runnin’ into some Coalition boys myself,” he says with a toothy grin.
Mavis offers a handshake. “Good to know. Name’s Mavis. And you?” He rests a hand on the sheriff’s shoulder, nudging the two men closer. “So how often do those Coalition boys come flyin’ over these parts?”
The sheriff shoots him a stink‑eye, then nods toward Nick. “I see your APC’s leavin’. Thank you.” He turns away, giving Kival a sidelong glance and a curt nod. “Howdy. Good to see you again.”
Meanwhile… Outside the bar, Armin approaches town on his sky cycle. He’s lost track of Nickie, JJ, and Rhi... again... and spots a massive APC rolling out. He recognizes the model instantly: a CS Mark V infantry transport.
He also spots Kival’s hovercycle parked nearby.
Champion notices Armin first. The little pot‑bellied man seems harmless enough.
The sheriff, heading back to his office, looks thoroughly aggravated by the sudden influx of visitors.
Armin slows his cycle. oO(Supplies are runnin’ low)Oo he thinks, oO(Time to find work)Oo He hops off, scratches his bald head, and pulls out a map. He squints at it, wrinkles his oversized nose, then folds it up with a grunt. He reaches for his flask... empty. “Figures,” he mutters.
He scans the town, spots the bar, and perks up. “Well, well… enough time for a drink.” He remounts, then freezes when he sees the APC again. He reaches for his pistol… then notices the people climbing into it aren’t Coalition.
Mercenaries, he thinks. Maybe they’ve got work. And if it’s against the Coalition? Even better. He cruises toward them. Most townsfolk have dispersed by now. Armin gets close enough to see a mercenary waving him over.
“Hi there!” the man calls.
Champion also spots another newcomer, who's heavily armed with a build like a brick wall. The man steps forward.
“I’m lookin’ for mercs to help me head south of the Rio Grande,” he says. “Name’s Ripper.” He offers Champion a beefy handshake.
oO(Rio Grande?)Oo Armin thinks. oO(That’s vampire territory. Crazy… but if the price is right…)Oo He pulls up beside them. “Ripper, huh?” Armin says, eyeing the man’s guns. oO(Best not start anything with this one)Oo “My name’s Armin Konrad. What’s this job you’re talkin’ about?”
************************************************************
Inside the bar, a chair groans as a very large man stands up; the kind of large that makes furniture cry in his presense. He cracks his shoulder blades like he’s snapping kindling and strolls over toward where Mavis and the sheriff had been talking.
By the time the eight‑foot giant arrives, the sheriff and his deputies have already scattered like spooked prairie dogs.
Mavis looks up… and up… and up, in slow motion, like a dramatic movie reveal. “Who the hell are you?” he asks, grinning like he’s not sure whether to shake the man’s hand or run for the door.
“People call me Cirrus,” the giant replies. “Though not many folks around here talk to me.”
He says it casually, like being eight feet tall is only slightly inconvenient.
Meanwhile, Lori stays with the APC until the crew moves it outside town and sets up camp. She suggests camouflaging it, mostly so the sheriff doesn’t have a heart attack, then hops on her horse and rides into town to see what kind of trouble everyone else is getting into.
**********************************
Ripper plants his hands on his hips, grin wide enough to sell sunshine. “Alright, here’s the job. I’m hunting down a relic in the ruins of an old religious temple somewhere in Mexico. Dangerous? Oh yeah. But the pay is beautiful. Eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits once we’re done.” He gives Armin a friendly nudge. “Got any friends who’d wanna tag along?”
Armin rubs his chin thoughtfully. “Sure thing. I’ll do it.” He glances around, noticing familiar faces drifting in and out of the bar. A lizard‑skinned man with pointed teeth catches his eye. oO(Kival… right, that’s his name)Oo More faces click into place, oO(Maybe fortune’s finally throwin’ me a bone)Oo
Ripper turns back to Champion, offering his hand again. “You left kinda suddenly earlier. Hope everything’s alright. Anyways, same deal. Eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits to help me find an old relic. Interested?”
Champion shakes his hand firmly. “I’ll help however I can. But I won’t need the money. I’ll do it for free. Can you tell me more about this relic?”
Ripper brightens. “Absolutely.” He pulls out a folded sheet of paper with a pencil sketch. “It’s flat, octagon‑shaped, about half the size of my fist, with a triangle cut out of the middle. Three tiny holes drilled evenly around it. Unknown metal. Could be magical. Probably worth a fortune. I’ve been researching it for a year.”
He taps the drawing proudly. “Someone gave me this sketch. I want the real thing. So I’m willing to pay up to fifteen people eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits each.”
Armin’s eyes widen. oO(I oughta kick myself)Oo he thinks. oO(My wallet said yes before my brain even showed up)Oo He turns the drawing sideways, then upside‑down, then right‑side‑up again. “So… uh… what does this thing do?”
Ripper shrugs cheerfully. “I collect magical items. My father did too. This one’s ancient — maybe part of a set. Another piece might be in a lost Incan temple down in South America. I actually found one already, but it’s at home. Looks like a circle with three little prongs sticking out. Didn’t wanna lose it, so I left it there.”
Champion and Armin study the sketch again. The pieces look like they could belong to a larger artifact… or a machine… or maybe some kid’s puzzle that accidentally became magical.
Ripper claps his hands together. “Anyway — I’m obsessed with finding this next piece. Got a telegram hinting at its location. So I’m paying top credits for brave folks willing to help me dig it up.
”************************************************
Lori gallops up over a crest of the southern hills, about a kilometer from the town. She can see Champion, in front of the sheriff's office, talking with two people she's never seen before. One being fat and wearing CS armor. The other being rather large and well decked out for a war.
Lori starts to ride towards the three as she enters the town at a gallop. She looks as beautiful as ever with her elven features and slim, well figured body.
While Cirrus and Mavis get acquainted, Kira hangs back, quietly watching Armin and Champion talk with Ripper from the bar door. She doesn’t know any of them, so she keeps her distance, observing rather than joining in.
Nearby, Jenna and Nick are definitely eavesdropping on Mavis and Cirrus... not subtle about it, either. They lean just close enough to catch the conversation, pretending they’re not.
Off to the side, another burly man, known only as Barry, mutters something about needing to get his truck fixed, more to himself than anyone else.************************************************
Drake, Bruce, Robbie, Alec and CS Soldier:
The Coalition lieutenant, Buddy Juganlee, sits slumped against the APC's interior wall, still shaken from being dragged out of his wrecked SAMAS. Now he finds himself a captive, surrounded by people who should have left him for dead.
Drake steps forward, looming over him. The others fall silent.
“Well,” Drake says quietly, “now that most of the others are gone… tell me something, Lieutenant.” His voice is calm, but there’s a tremor beneath it. “Were you looking for me in particular?”
Juganlee’s eyes widen.
Drake continues, tone tightening. “You already killed my protection. Warren. And ever since I escaped Tolkeen, you and your Major have been hunting me down.” He leans closer. “Clever idea, using the Blue Angels’ rivals to kill him.”
Juganlee swallows hard, unable to look away.
Drake’s smile is thin, brittle. “YOU BASTARDS WIPED OUT MY ENTIRE BATTALION.”
His hand ignites, small blue flames licking across his knuckles, and he backhands the lieutenant. Juganlee yelps, collapsing sideways.
Alec freezes. Bruce’s jaw drops. Neither of them has ever seen Drake like this; burning, furious, unrestrained.
Bruce finally manages, “Drake… you came from the war before you joined us in Ishpeming? Why didn’t you tell us?”
Drake extinguishes the flames with a slow exhale. His voice softens, but the pain behind it is unmistakable, “Because it wasn’t just the Coalition after me.” He stares past them, into memories he’d buried. “I don’t even know who they were. They killed my brother. My father. My sister... missing. She disappeared before they could find her.”
Alec’s expression shifts from shock to horror.
Drake continues, voice cracking. “When I became a field commander… they wiped out half my platoon. Two soldiers escaped them and stumbled into our camp. They had these collars... they were metal, strange. I ran to get help.” He pauses, breath trembling. “When I looked back… the collars detonated. Fusion bombs. They killed everyone.”
Alec’s hand slowly covers his mouth. Bruce’s eyes water.
Drake shakes his head. “After that, I went into hiding. Met Warren on the road. His psychic abilities were stronger than anyone I’d ever met.” He points at Juganlee. “And this freak, or one of his friends, killed him. We were trying to save both you and Warren. Remember?”
Bruce nods silently, unable to speak.
Juganlee lowers his gaze. “Just… kill me.”
Drake leans back, expression unreadable. “We wait for the others.”
******************************************
Armin studies Ripper’s sketch, mind racing. oO(Magic)Oo he thinks. oO(So he’s not Coalition. Maybe he’s legit. And for that kind of money… sheesh)Oo He absently pats his credit pouch, then glances toward Champion to see how he’s taking all this.
Champion inhales slowly, “I don’t usually help people on treasure hunts, but this relic… it sounds familiar. I think I read about it in the Lazlo library when I was seven. I’ll help however I can, but don’t pay me. My services are free.” He examines the drawing again, thinking, oO(Someone else will want this artifact. Someone evil. There always is. We need to be cautious)Oo
Armin nods. “Count me in.” He shakes Ripper’s hand.
OOC: A few posts had gone missing, including talk of vampires and Champion’s player had embellished wildly by editing everyone's posts to fit his character's agenda, by rewriting their backstories to include his. The rewrite got lost in the mix and so did the original posts.
“Undead, huh?” Armin grimaces. “Can’t stand bloodsuckers. Don’t have many friends either.” He gestures toward Champion. “Maybe he does. Anyway, guess we ought to get to know each other. I’m Armin Konrad, ex‑Coalition demolitions expert and engineer.” He reaches up to shake Champion’s much taller hand.
Mavis leaves Cirrus behind and waves him along. “Come on, big guy. Let’s see what all this handshaking’s about.”
Champion shakes Armin’s hand. “Nice to meet you, Armin. You may call me Champion.” He turns back to Ripper, “Not only am I a Cyber‑Knight, but I’m also a vampire‑hunter. They can run, but they can’t escape me.” His voice drops cold. “They will pay for what they did to me.”
Mavis asks for the drawing. Champion hands it over without looking.
Lori walks up. “Hello, Champion. What’s happening?”
Champion fills Lori and Mavis in. “I’m helping Ripper. Armin is too. Whether the rest of the Blue Angels want to or not, I’m going.”
Ripper beams at Mavis. “Ahh, a M.O.M. conversion. I like that. Always thought about getting one.” Then he spots Lori and nearly melts. “Helloooo, miss. I’m Ripper. I have a mission, and I would love for you to accompany us.” He tries to kiss her hand.
Lori gently deflects Ripper’s hand. “That’s no way to treat a lady. Especially a lady mage.” She summons a harmless Globe of Daylight in her palm. Ripper stiffens, unsure if it’s dangerous.
She turns to Champion, “If fate leads you there, good fortune. But those of us from Ishpeming took a contract and it would be dishonorable to break it.” She dismisses the spell, “We’re here to kill or capture the leader of a gang called the Chrome. We tracked them to this region.”
The sheriff watches from a distance, relieved that people are making deals instead of trouble.
Ripper nods toward Champion, “I hope you have more friends like her. Extravagant women and well‑equipped men. It's always a pleasure.”
oO(Bounty hunters)Oo Armin thinks, oO(My kind of people)Oo Sure, bounty hunters weren’t always reputable or hygienic, but they don't ask questions. They get the job done. “Whoa, whoa,” Armin says. “I said I’d do the relic job. I’m not getting involved in anyone’s war. You’ve got your business, I’ve got mine. I’ve already got enough enemies and..." He stops mid‑sentence. For the first time, he realizes Lori is very beautiful. He blushes, scratching his bald head. oO(Geez. If there were ever a reason to join a war…)Oo
Fortunately, Kira exits the bar and breaks the moment. “I’m Kira,” she says. “I couldn’t help noticing you all. Dare I ask why you’re standing outside the bar?”
“Business,” Armin says quickly, regaining composure. “Just business.”
Champion introduces himself and fills her in. “Excuse me, I’m going to get my horse.” He leaves and returns minutes later on a sleek black steed.
From inside, Nick watches the whole exchange through the window.
Ripper lights up again. “Gruber Chekolovski! Leader of the Chrome. He took the job too! He’s already headed to Mexico with seven men in advanced Chrome armor.” He notices Kira, “Ma’am.” as he bows, “Pleased to meet you. We’re seeking great treasures. Do you have any outstanding skills? I need fifteen people.”
Kira answers bluntly. “I’m a very talented, and pompous, engineer. I can fix pretty much anything, given enough time.”
“I don’t know who or what Chrome is,” Cirrus says, “but I’ll take the job anyway. Can I get an advance? I’ll need weapons and armor.”
Lori blinks, “This is unexpected. I’ll have to speak with my companions.”
Ripper’s smile falters when he sees Cirrus’s size, “W‑well… my policy is no advances. But I can give you 100,000 credits so you can get basic gear. And… uh… water pistols would be good.”
Mavis thinks aloud. “Garlic concentrate for a water gun? Oh and I could use an advance.”
Ripper regains confidence. “LISTEN. If you’re looking for Gruber, that’s not my problem. But without me, you’ll never find him.”
Barry finally notices the negotiations happening outside. He rises from his chair with the slow wobble of a man who’s had just enough to drink, then strolls over. Built like a rancher who moonlights as a brick wall, he clears his throat.
“Name’s Barry,” he says, swaying slightly. “Heard you’re lookin’ for mercs… and payin’ a million credits to shoot vampires.”
Kira folds her arms. “Well, let’s not stand around talking. Whoever’s going is going. I’m in. For eight‑hundred thousand credits, I think this man wants a little swiftness in the matter. If there aren’t any more instructions… we may as well get started.”
Champion nods from atop his horse. “I said it once, I’ll say it again. I’m not in it for the money. I see an opportunity. Ripper may not hand the Chrome leader over to us, but that won’t stop me or the Blue Angels from tracking him down. Right now, he’s our best chance. And I agree with Kira. If there’s nothing else, let’s move.”
Lori steps forward. “Ripper may be our best lead, Champion, but we still need to inform the others. I’ll head back to the APC and tell them. You and Nick can find the rest of our friends enjoying the town’s hospitality.”
She gives Ripper a warm smile, “You may have just gained an armored vehicle for your expedition,” then she mounts her horse and gallops toward the APC.
Armin looks around. “Well, everyone seems decided.” oO(And I’ve decided that more people means less cash)Oo he thinks, spotting familiar faces. oO(Still, introductions can wait)Oo He hops onto his Sky Cycle, flips it on, and flashes Champion a thumbs‑up. oO(I always admired directness)Oo
Mavis scans the area. “Pardon my French, but I could use a bigger freaking gun. Is there any kind of armory in this town?”
Cirrus crosses his arms. “Payment would be appreciated… right now.”
Mavis makes a face, then jets back to the bar for a whiskey on the rocks. Unfortunately, he immediately ends up in a fight with a patron.
Moments later, Mavis knocks the man flat, attempts a celebratory backflip, botches it, and belly‑flops onto the bar. A beer bottle flies off and shatters. The bartender leaps back like he’s dodging a grenade.
The defeated patron scrambles for the door. “SHEEERIFF! HELP!”
Ripper watches the chaos unfold. “What… are some of you backing out?” He spots Jenna and Kival still inside the bar, watching the commotion, “Are those your friends?” then shrugs at Armin. “As long as I have fifteen or fewer people, I won’t pay anyone less. As for guns; there’s no real armory here. Townsfolk mostly have regular guns and laser pistols. Their gunslingers are deadly enough.”
*******************************************************
Nick, Drake, Alec, Bruce and Robbie and prisoner:
Nick reaches the APC just as the tension inside hits him like a wall. Bruce and Alec look rattled; wide‑eyed, stiff, like they’ve just seen something they weren’t prepared for. It doesn’t take long for Nick to spot why. The captured SAMAS pilot’s face is scorched, half‑burned, half‑blistered, and Drake is sitting next to him like a storm that hasn’t finished breaking.
Drake snaps at Nick, “So. What’s everyone finding out? I’m not comfortable with how many stragglers are wandering into Empire City.”
Alec lifts a hand. “Hey, man, Bruce has something interesting for you.”
Bruce nods quickly, still shaken. “Yeah, Nick, listen, there’s..."
“One sec.” Nick’s eyes lock on the pilot. “I want to know what happened between Drake and this guy,” He curls his lip in disgust. “Drake… what did he do to piss you off?”
Drake doesn’t answer immediately. The silence hangs heavy as Nick turns back to Bruce. “Alright. What were you saying?”
Bruce gathers himself, ready to explain, while Nick prepares to pull Drake aside afterward to get the full story, and then fills him in on everything happening back in town.
*********************************************
Jenna steps out of the bar, brushing dust off her sleeves. “What’s going on? Are we leaving already?”
Ripper suddenly whips out a notepad like he’s about to conduct an audit. He ducks around the corner. “Stay here!” he orders, scribbling furiously in his tiny notebook. A moment later he returns and hands out credits to everyone like a very enthusiastic banker. “If anyone double‑crosses me,” he grimly says, “I’ll hunt them down.”
Cirrus wanders off in search of an arms dealer, thinking, oO(It’s gonna cost a fortune to find armor that fits me)Oo
Ripper calls after him, “Like I said, there's no armory here. Folks trade with travelers to get by. And nobody’s got armor your size anyway. Anyone here good with ceramic alloy metalworking?”
Armin raises a hand. “I know a place in the next town. You can gear up for about a hundred grand.”
Barry pockets his credits, scratching his head. “Well, I’ve got my own truck, but it needs fixin’. Kira, could you help me out? I’d really appreciate it.” He waves at a barmaid. “Two waters!” She hands him two cold glasses. Barry chugs one… then dumps the other over his head like he’s baptizing himself.
Cirrus strolls into the bar, grabs Atreides by the neck, and drags him outside like he’s hauling a sack of potatoes. Atreides’ muffled protests trail behind him.
Cirrus drops him on the ground. “Problem solved.”
Atreides staggers around, dazed. Barry points and laughs. “No matter how many times I see that, I still piss myself laughing!”
Armin looks around. “So… are we decided on where to get supplies?” He fiddles with the interface on one of his fusion blocks.
Barry shrugs, “I’ve been around this place a while. I know a few spots. When you say supplies, do you mean combat or survival? Anyone who wants to come with me can. If Kira can fix my truck, that is.” He points down the road. “It’s about five hundred meters that way.”
Atreides and Chris nod to each other, "Screw this..." Atreides grunts.
"I think it's time we head out without these clowns," Chris motions for him to follow. The two leave town.
*****************************************
Back at the APC:
Drake throws his hands up. “I hit him. What the hell does it look like?” He jerks a thumb at Buddy. “So what if there was a little heat involved? He’ll live.”
Buddy keeps his eyes down, tugging at his handcuffs like he’s testing them for warranty coverage. “And you bastards accuse us of cruel and unusual behavior?”
Drake’s jaw tightens. For a second it looks like he might ignite again, but then he forces a breath, stomps to the driver’s seat, and growls, “Nick. What’s going on in town.”
Nick clears his throat. “Well… good news and bad news.”
Bruce leans in like he’s about to deliver gossip. “Oh man, this is gonna be good.”
Nick continues, “Good news: we’ve got a lead on the Chrome leader... and his name. Bad news: the guy who told us hired him for an expedition into Mexico and won’t say where he is.”
Alec winces. “Classic. Can't wait to skin that shithead alive...”
Nick holds up a finger. “More good news: the employer, his name is Ripper, is still hiring people for the expedition. If we sign on, he won’t let us nail the Chrome leader during the job, but we’ll be close enough to keep an eye on him. And once the job’s done? He's fair game.”
Bruce nods enthusiastically like he’s watching a cooking show. “Ooh, loopholes.”
Nick adds, “Plus, if Gruber Chekolovski dies, we can keep his head. Contract says bring him back or proof of death. Doesn’t say we have to do the killing.”
Alec gives a thumbs‑up. “Technicalities are my favorite.”
Drake’s eyes blaze. “Take the job! Nothing like earning a little extra along the way. I want the bastard dead!” He pauses, thinking, “Gruber… yeah. He’s a CS juicer captain. Decorated. Works well with mercs. I think that I’ve got his rap sheet back in Ishpeming.”
Bruce’s face twists, “Okay but... what was that stuff about Warren?” He looks genuinely hurt, “Did you know our friend Chris Valée was with a guy named Gruber when Warren and I were kidnapped? I didn’t wanna say anything ’cause I wasn’t even sure what was going on.”
Drake turns slowly, expression flat as a brick. “What.”
Bruce shrugs helplessly. “Chris proved himself a friend. I thought he might’ve betrayed him.”
Drake’s voice drops. “Let’s just wait till the bastard comes back…”
Lori trots up on her horse. “Alright, let’s load the APC and head back to town. We’ll sign up for the job, then get anti‑vampire supplies. Maybe convert the rail guns to shoot wooden rounds.”
Bruce perks up, “High velocity splinters sounds fun.”
Drake shrugs, “We have everything we need.”
Nick drives the APC back into town, parking in front of the bar. Kira and Barry stare at the Coalition Mark V like it’s a celebrity.
Ripper’s eyes go huge, “I can drive one of those! I’ve driven tanks, armored cars, but geez, where’d you get it?”
Lori hops down, “Where can we get water guns? And wood ammo?”
Champion gestures, “Load your horse,” to Lori.
Ripper watches Barry and Cirrus trying to out‑laugh each other over Mavis’s antics, “Well… looks like we’ll get along fine. First, fix Barry’s truck. Then supplies at the market Armin mentioned. After that, our quest begins.”
Armin pockets his fusion necklace. “I don’t need much. Maybe browse for electronics. Got a couple projects going.”
Champion loads his horse. Ripper follows him inside, but Drake blocks the doorway, “Who the hell are you?”
Ripper doesn’t flinch. “I hired these boys to help me. In return, they get their man at the end.”
Drake stands tall, “Hand him over now.”
Ripper smiles politely, “Can’t do that. But I can offer you a deal if you join me.”
Drake grumbles, “I heard… Let’s get moving.” oO(Worth a try)Oo he thinks bitterly.
He spots Cirrus, Kira, and Barry, “More baggage? Where’s Mavis, Chris, and Atreides?”
Ripper gives him a look that says, 'I’m unimpressed and also tired.'
Cirrus loads his gear into an APC locker like he’s packing for summer camp.
Nick calls out, “Everyone onboard! We better head out. Also, does anyone else know how to drive this thing? I’ve been at the wheel for days and my ass is starting to hurt.” He rubs his backside, then flops into a hammock, “Oh, Ripper! This baby’s gonna jack up the price of our help. Not every day you meet someone who owns one of these!”
Cirrus raises a hand, “I can.”
***************************
Barry leads the group down the dusty slope like he’s unveiling a national treasure. At the bottom sits his monster truck, which is a five‑meter‑long, big‑wheeled beast that looks like it lost a fight with gravity and was politely shoved closer to town.
He tosses his hat into the cab, ducks under the chassis, and pops open a couple of armor panels. The engine block greets him with the mechanical equivalent of a groan. A few “field modifications” appear to have been done by someone who believed duct tape was a personality trait.
The truck idles like it’s trying to take off, one tire is flatter than Barry’s last poker hand, the spark plugs look like they’ve been through a divorce, and the alternator is dying with dramatic flair. Barry throws his hands up, “Do I have a spare tire? Mega‑epoxy? A miracle? I need Kira!”
He preps the epoxy and hands it to Armin like he’s passing off a sacred relic, because he might. The alternator will need replacing. He figures that he can acquire one from one of the farm folks. Spark plugs? Easy. The sheriff probably has a drawer full of them next to his confiscated moonshine.
From the APC, Ripper leans out and hollers, “Meet us along the Rio Grande! Just follow our tracks!” He turns to the crew inside, “While those three fix the truck, we’ll get a head start. That thing can catch up.”
Drake’s eye twitches, “Where in the hell are Atreides and Chris?”
Mavis spots the sheriff interrogating the poor guy he punched earlier and decides that that’s his cue to quietly step into the APC. Cirrus attempts to wedge himself into the driver’s seat like a grackle‑tooth trying to fit into a teacup.
Drake throws his arms up. “And what the hell do you think you’re doing? WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?”
Bruce pats his shoulder, “Chill, man! They’re coming with us. Quest stuff. Ripper stuff. Just breathe.”
Drake grumbles, “Fine. Get our gear ready. Just in case,” as he stomps to the back and flops into a hammock next to Nick.
Mavis waves from the rear window as the APC pulls away. “Sorry ’bout that, big guy!” He pulls out a violin and immediately starts playing like a daredevil performing a stunt.
Lori leans in, “The two of them headed off on their own,” as she briefly glances up at Cirrus, who'd ran them off.
Drake sighs, “Figures…”
******************************
Later that day, the APC rattles across southern Texas. By nightfall, they reach scrubland and stop to stretch.
Ripper steps out with Robbie, “Alright, team. Wanna camp here or push on to the Rio Grande?”
Cirrus rumbles, “I’d rather sleep where there aren’t any sadistic bloodsuckers. And I need an armorer. This armor isn’t gonna fit itself.”
Mavis plays a violin riff, echoing out of the APC, that sounds like someone challenging the night sky to a duel.
Ripper nods, “Let’s rest here. Tomorrow we head to El Paso. They’ll have armorers. And things won’t be so hectic once the others catch up.”
Bruce and Robbie scout the area, “Nothing out there yet. Hope the others hurry.”
Mavis pauses playing as he peers out the APC windows, “Anyone ever fought a vampire? How do you fend them off? Also, where are the hot spots in Southern and Central America?”
Lori smirks, “Hotspots? Mexico. Just… Mexico. Weaknesses are wood, silver, sunlight, moving water. Lasers tickle them. Railgun rounds knock them over but just make them madder. That enough for you, Mavis?”
Mavis grins and hands her his fancy brown saddlebags, “Here, Lori. You can have these. I’ve got no use for ’em,” as he hops out of the APC and goes for a jog like he’s training for a vampire marathon.
Empire City
Nick climbs out of the Mark V, dusting off his hands as he heads toward the bar. He’s not sure what’s going on, but if there’s trouble brewing, he intends to be in the middle of it.
Mavis notices a hovercycle rolling up, ridden by a grackle‑tooth with a grin sharp enough to cut rope. The creature hops off and calls out in a deep, cheerful voice, “Howdy!”
Before anyone can respond, the overweight town sheriff groans loudly. “What’re ya doin’ bringin’ that big hunk of tin into our town?” He jabs a finger at the APC. “You ain’t even Coalition. If they see that thing here, they’ll level the place for treason! Get it outta here, then you can come back!”
The townsfolk murmur agreement, arms crossed, eyes narrowed.
Nick shrugs. “Sorry, sir. Where should we park it?”
Mavis raises an eyebrow. “How often do the Coalition fly over your peaceful little town, Sheriff? And what was your name again?”
Kival strolls up, kicking sand off his boots. “Wouldn’t mind runnin’ into some Coalition boys myself,” he says with a toothy grin.
Mavis offers a handshake. “Good to know. Name’s Mavis. And you?” He rests a hand on the sheriff’s shoulder, nudging the two men closer. “So how often do those Coalition boys come flyin’ over these parts?”
The sheriff shoots him a stink‑eye, then nods toward Nick. “I see your APC’s leavin’. Thank you.” He turns away, giving Kival a sidelong glance and a curt nod. “Howdy. Good to see you again.”
Meanwhile… Outside the bar, Armin approaches town on his sky cycle. He’s lost track of Nickie, JJ, and Rhi... again... and spots a massive APC rolling out. He recognizes the model instantly: a CS Mark V infantry transport.
He also spots Kival’s hovercycle parked nearby.
Champion notices Armin first. The little pot‑bellied man seems harmless enough.
The sheriff, heading back to his office, looks thoroughly aggravated by the sudden influx of visitors.
Armin slows his cycle. oO(Supplies are runnin’ low)Oo he thinks, oO(Time to find work)Oo He hops off, scratches his bald head, and pulls out a map. He squints at it, wrinkles his oversized nose, then folds it up with a grunt. He reaches for his flask... empty. “Figures,” he mutters.
He scans the town, spots the bar, and perks up. “Well, well… enough time for a drink.” He remounts, then freezes when he sees the APC again. He reaches for his pistol… then notices the people climbing into it aren’t Coalition.
Mercenaries, he thinks. Maybe they’ve got work. And if it’s against the Coalition? Even better. He cruises toward them. Most townsfolk have dispersed by now. Armin gets close enough to see a mercenary waving him over.
“Hi there!” the man calls.
Champion also spots another newcomer, who's heavily armed with a build like a brick wall. The man steps forward.
“I’m lookin’ for mercs to help me head south of the Rio Grande,” he says. “Name’s Ripper.” He offers Champion a beefy handshake.
oO(Rio Grande?)Oo Armin thinks. oO(That’s vampire territory. Crazy… but if the price is right…)Oo He pulls up beside them. “Ripper, huh?” Armin says, eyeing the man’s guns. oO(Best not start anything with this one)Oo “My name’s Armin Konrad. What’s this job you’re talkin’ about?”
************************************************************
Inside the bar, a chair groans as a very large man stands up; the kind of large that makes furniture cry in his presense. He cracks his shoulder blades like he’s snapping kindling and strolls over toward where Mavis and the sheriff had been talking.
By the time the eight‑foot giant arrives, the sheriff and his deputies have already scattered like spooked prairie dogs.
Mavis looks up… and up… and up, in slow motion, like a dramatic movie reveal. “Who the hell are you?” he asks, grinning like he’s not sure whether to shake the man’s hand or run for the door.
“People call me Cirrus,” the giant replies. “Though not many folks around here talk to me.”
He says it casually, like being eight feet tall is only slightly inconvenient.
Meanwhile, Lori stays with the APC until the crew moves it outside town and sets up camp. She suggests camouflaging it, mostly so the sheriff doesn’t have a heart attack, then hops on her horse and rides into town to see what kind of trouble everyone else is getting into.
**********************************
Ripper plants his hands on his hips, grin wide enough to sell sunshine. “Alright, here’s the job. I’m hunting down a relic in the ruins of an old religious temple somewhere in Mexico. Dangerous? Oh yeah. But the pay is beautiful. Eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits once we’re done.” He gives Armin a friendly nudge. “Got any friends who’d wanna tag along?”
Armin rubs his chin thoughtfully. “Sure thing. I’ll do it.” He glances around, noticing familiar faces drifting in and out of the bar. A lizard‑skinned man with pointed teeth catches his eye. oO(Kival… right, that’s his name)Oo More faces click into place, oO(Maybe fortune’s finally throwin’ me a bone)Oo
Ripper turns back to Champion, offering his hand again. “You left kinda suddenly earlier. Hope everything’s alright. Anyways, same deal. Eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits to help me find an old relic. Interested?”
Champion shakes his hand firmly. “I’ll help however I can. But I won’t need the money. I’ll do it for free. Can you tell me more about this relic?”
Ripper brightens. “Absolutely.” He pulls out a folded sheet of paper with a pencil sketch. “It’s flat, octagon‑shaped, about half the size of my fist, with a triangle cut out of the middle. Three tiny holes drilled evenly around it. Unknown metal. Could be magical. Probably worth a fortune. I’ve been researching it for a year.”
He taps the drawing proudly. “Someone gave me this sketch. I want the real thing. So I’m willing to pay up to fifteen people eight‑hundred‑and‑fifty thousand credits each.”
Armin’s eyes widen. oO(I oughta kick myself)Oo he thinks. oO(My wallet said yes before my brain even showed up)Oo He turns the drawing sideways, then upside‑down, then right‑side‑up again. “So… uh… what does this thing do?”
Ripper shrugs cheerfully. “I collect magical items. My father did too. This one’s ancient — maybe part of a set. Another piece might be in a lost Incan temple down in South America. I actually found one already, but it’s at home. Looks like a circle with three little prongs sticking out. Didn’t wanna lose it, so I left it there.”
Champion and Armin study the sketch again. The pieces look like they could belong to a larger artifact… or a machine… or maybe some kid’s puzzle that accidentally became magical.
Ripper claps his hands together. “Anyway — I’m obsessed with finding this next piece. Got a telegram hinting at its location. So I’m paying top credits for brave folks willing to help me dig it up.
”************************************************
Lori gallops up over a crest of the southern hills, about a kilometer from the town. She can see Champion, in front of the sheriff's office, talking with two people she's never seen before. One being fat and wearing CS armor. The other being rather large and well decked out for a war.
Lori starts to ride towards the three as she enters the town at a gallop. She looks as beautiful as ever with her elven features and slim, well figured body.
While Cirrus and Mavis get acquainted, Kira hangs back, quietly watching Armin and Champion talk with Ripper from the bar door. She doesn’t know any of them, so she keeps her distance, observing rather than joining in.
Nearby, Jenna and Nick are definitely eavesdropping on Mavis and Cirrus... not subtle about it, either. They lean just close enough to catch the conversation, pretending they’re not.
Off to the side, another burly man, known only as Barry, mutters something about needing to get his truck fixed, more to himself than anyone else.************************************************
Drake, Bruce, Robbie, Alec and CS Soldier:
The Coalition lieutenant, Buddy Juganlee, sits slumped against the APC's interior wall, still shaken from being dragged out of his wrecked SAMAS. Now he finds himself a captive, surrounded by people who should have left him for dead.
Drake steps forward, looming over him. The others fall silent.
“Well,” Drake says quietly, “now that most of the others are gone… tell me something, Lieutenant.” His voice is calm, but there’s a tremor beneath it. “Were you looking for me in particular?”
Juganlee’s eyes widen.
Drake continues, tone tightening. “You already killed my protection. Warren. And ever since I escaped Tolkeen, you and your Major have been hunting me down.” He leans closer. “Clever idea, using the Blue Angels’ rivals to kill him.”
Juganlee swallows hard, unable to look away.
Drake’s smile is thin, brittle. “YOU BASTARDS WIPED OUT MY ENTIRE BATTALION.”
His hand ignites, small blue flames licking across his knuckles, and he backhands the lieutenant. Juganlee yelps, collapsing sideways.
Alec freezes. Bruce’s jaw drops. Neither of them has ever seen Drake like this; burning, furious, unrestrained.
Bruce finally manages, “Drake… you came from the war before you joined us in Ishpeming? Why didn’t you tell us?”
Drake extinguishes the flames with a slow exhale. His voice softens, but the pain behind it is unmistakable, “Because it wasn’t just the Coalition after me.” He stares past them, into memories he’d buried. “I don’t even know who they were. They killed my brother. My father. My sister... missing. She disappeared before they could find her.”
Alec’s expression shifts from shock to horror.
Drake continues, voice cracking. “When I became a field commander… they wiped out half my platoon. Two soldiers escaped them and stumbled into our camp. They had these collars... they were metal, strange. I ran to get help.” He pauses, breath trembling. “When I looked back… the collars detonated. Fusion bombs. They killed everyone.”
Alec’s hand slowly covers his mouth. Bruce’s eyes water.
Drake shakes his head. “After that, I went into hiding. Met Warren on the road. His psychic abilities were stronger than anyone I’d ever met.” He points at Juganlee. “And this freak, or one of his friends, killed him. We were trying to save both you and Warren. Remember?”
Bruce nods silently, unable to speak.
Juganlee lowers his gaze. “Just… kill me.”
Drake leans back, expression unreadable. “We wait for the others.”
******************************************
Armin studies Ripper’s sketch, mind racing. oO(Magic)Oo he thinks. oO(So he’s not Coalition. Maybe he’s legit. And for that kind of money… sheesh)Oo He absently pats his credit pouch, then glances toward Champion to see how he’s taking all this.
Champion inhales slowly, “I don’t usually help people on treasure hunts, but this relic… it sounds familiar. I think I read about it in the Lazlo library when I was seven. I’ll help however I can, but don’t pay me. My services are free.” He examines the drawing again, thinking, oO(Someone else will want this artifact. Someone evil. There always is. We need to be cautious)Oo
Armin nods. “Count me in.” He shakes Ripper’s hand.
OOC: A few posts had gone missing, including talk of vampires and Champion’s player had embellished wildly by editing everyone's posts to fit his character's agenda, by rewriting their backstories to include his. The rewrite got lost in the mix and so did the original posts.
“Undead, huh?” Armin grimaces. “Can’t stand bloodsuckers. Don’t have many friends either.” He gestures toward Champion. “Maybe he does. Anyway, guess we ought to get to know each other. I’m Armin Konrad, ex‑Coalition demolitions expert and engineer.” He reaches up to shake Champion’s much taller hand.
Mavis leaves Cirrus behind and waves him along. “Come on, big guy. Let’s see what all this handshaking’s about.”
Champion shakes Armin’s hand. “Nice to meet you, Armin. You may call me Champion.” He turns back to Ripper, “Not only am I a Cyber‑Knight, but I’m also a vampire‑hunter. They can run, but they can’t escape me.” His voice drops cold. “They will pay for what they did to me.”
Mavis asks for the drawing. Champion hands it over without looking.
Lori walks up. “Hello, Champion. What’s happening?”
Champion fills Lori and Mavis in. “I’m helping Ripper. Armin is too. Whether the rest of the Blue Angels want to or not, I’m going.”
Ripper beams at Mavis. “Ahh, a M.O.M. conversion. I like that. Always thought about getting one.” Then he spots Lori and nearly melts. “Helloooo, miss. I’m Ripper. I have a mission, and I would love for you to accompany us.” He tries to kiss her hand.
Lori gently deflects Ripper’s hand. “That’s no way to treat a lady. Especially a lady mage.” She summons a harmless Globe of Daylight in her palm. Ripper stiffens, unsure if it’s dangerous.
She turns to Champion, “If fate leads you there, good fortune. But those of us from Ishpeming took a contract and it would be dishonorable to break it.” She dismisses the spell, “We’re here to kill or capture the leader of a gang called the Chrome. We tracked them to this region.”
The sheriff watches from a distance, relieved that people are making deals instead of trouble.
Ripper nods toward Champion, “I hope you have more friends like her. Extravagant women and well‑equipped men. It's always a pleasure.”
oO(Bounty hunters)Oo Armin thinks, oO(My kind of people)Oo Sure, bounty hunters weren’t always reputable or hygienic, but they don't ask questions. They get the job done. “Whoa, whoa,” Armin says. “I said I’d do the relic job. I’m not getting involved in anyone’s war. You’ve got your business, I’ve got mine. I’ve already got enough enemies and..." He stops mid‑sentence. For the first time, he realizes Lori is very beautiful. He blushes, scratching his bald head. oO(Geez. If there were ever a reason to join a war…)Oo
Fortunately, Kira exits the bar and breaks the moment. “I’m Kira,” she says. “I couldn’t help noticing you all. Dare I ask why you’re standing outside the bar?”
“Business,” Armin says quickly, regaining composure. “Just business.”
Champion introduces himself and fills her in. “Excuse me, I’m going to get my horse.” He leaves and returns minutes later on a sleek black steed.
From inside, Nick watches the whole exchange through the window.
Ripper lights up again. “Gruber Chekolovski! Leader of the Chrome. He took the job too! He’s already headed to Mexico with seven men in advanced Chrome armor.” He notices Kira, “Ma’am.” as he bows, “Pleased to meet you. We’re seeking great treasures. Do you have any outstanding skills? I need fifteen people.”
Kira answers bluntly. “I’m a very talented, and pompous, engineer. I can fix pretty much anything, given enough time.”
“I don’t know who or what Chrome is,” Cirrus says, “but I’ll take the job anyway. Can I get an advance? I’ll need weapons and armor.”
Lori blinks, “This is unexpected. I’ll have to speak with my companions.”
Ripper’s smile falters when he sees Cirrus’s size, “W‑well… my policy is no advances. But I can give you 100,000 credits so you can get basic gear. And… uh… water pistols would be good.”
Mavis thinks aloud. “Garlic concentrate for a water gun? Oh and I could use an advance.”
Ripper regains confidence. “LISTEN. If you’re looking for Gruber, that’s not my problem. But without me, you’ll never find him.”
Barry finally notices the negotiations happening outside. He rises from his chair with the slow wobble of a man who’s had just enough to drink, then strolls over. Built like a rancher who moonlights as a brick wall, he clears his throat.
“Name’s Barry,” he says, swaying slightly. “Heard you’re lookin’ for mercs… and payin’ a million credits to shoot vampires.”
Kira folds her arms. “Well, let’s not stand around talking. Whoever’s going is going. I’m in. For eight‑hundred thousand credits, I think this man wants a little swiftness in the matter. If there aren’t any more instructions… we may as well get started.”
Champion nods from atop his horse. “I said it once, I’ll say it again. I’m not in it for the money. I see an opportunity. Ripper may not hand the Chrome leader over to us, but that won’t stop me or the Blue Angels from tracking him down. Right now, he’s our best chance. And I agree with Kira. If there’s nothing else, let’s move.”
Lori steps forward. “Ripper may be our best lead, Champion, but we still need to inform the others. I’ll head back to the APC and tell them. You and Nick can find the rest of our friends enjoying the town’s hospitality.”
She gives Ripper a warm smile, “You may have just gained an armored vehicle for your expedition,” then she mounts her horse and gallops toward the APC.
Armin looks around. “Well, everyone seems decided.” oO(And I’ve decided that more people means less cash)Oo he thinks, spotting familiar faces. oO(Still, introductions can wait)Oo He hops onto his Sky Cycle, flips it on, and flashes Champion a thumbs‑up. oO(I always admired directness)Oo
Mavis scans the area. “Pardon my French, but I could use a bigger freaking gun. Is there any kind of armory in this town?”
Cirrus crosses his arms. “Payment would be appreciated… right now.”
Mavis makes a face, then jets back to the bar for a whiskey on the rocks. Unfortunately, he immediately ends up in a fight with a patron.
Moments later, Mavis knocks the man flat, attempts a celebratory backflip, botches it, and belly‑flops onto the bar. A beer bottle flies off and shatters. The bartender leaps back like he’s dodging a grenade.
The defeated patron scrambles for the door. “SHEEERIFF! HELP!”
Ripper watches the chaos unfold. “What… are some of you backing out?” He spots Jenna and Kival still inside the bar, watching the commotion, “Are those your friends?” then shrugs at Armin. “As long as I have fifteen or fewer people, I won’t pay anyone less. As for guns; there’s no real armory here. Townsfolk mostly have regular guns and laser pistols. Their gunslingers are deadly enough.”
*******************************************************
Nick, Drake, Alec, Bruce and Robbie and prisoner:
Nick reaches the APC just as the tension inside hits him like a wall. Bruce and Alec look rattled; wide‑eyed, stiff, like they’ve just seen something they weren’t prepared for. It doesn’t take long for Nick to spot why. The captured SAMAS pilot’s face is scorched, half‑burned, half‑blistered, and Drake is sitting next to him like a storm that hasn’t finished breaking.
Drake snaps at Nick, “So. What’s everyone finding out? I’m not comfortable with how many stragglers are wandering into Empire City.”
Alec lifts a hand. “Hey, man, Bruce has something interesting for you.”
Bruce nods quickly, still shaken. “Yeah, Nick, listen, there’s..."
“One sec.” Nick’s eyes lock on the pilot. “I want to know what happened between Drake and this guy,” He curls his lip in disgust. “Drake… what did he do to piss you off?”
Drake doesn’t answer immediately. The silence hangs heavy as Nick turns back to Bruce. “Alright. What were you saying?”
Bruce gathers himself, ready to explain, while Nick prepares to pull Drake aside afterward to get the full story, and then fills him in on everything happening back in town.
*********************************************
Jenna steps out of the bar, brushing dust off her sleeves. “What’s going on? Are we leaving already?”
Ripper suddenly whips out a notepad like he’s about to conduct an audit. He ducks around the corner. “Stay here!” he orders, scribbling furiously in his tiny notebook. A moment later he returns and hands out credits to everyone like a very enthusiastic banker. “If anyone double‑crosses me,” he grimly says, “I’ll hunt them down.”
Cirrus wanders off in search of an arms dealer, thinking, oO(It’s gonna cost a fortune to find armor that fits me)Oo
Ripper calls after him, “Like I said, there's no armory here. Folks trade with travelers to get by. And nobody’s got armor your size anyway. Anyone here good with ceramic alloy metalworking?”
Armin raises a hand. “I know a place in the next town. You can gear up for about a hundred grand.”
Barry pockets his credits, scratching his head. “Well, I’ve got my own truck, but it needs fixin’. Kira, could you help me out? I’d really appreciate it.” He waves at a barmaid. “Two waters!” She hands him two cold glasses. Barry chugs one… then dumps the other over his head like he’s baptizing himself.
Cirrus strolls into the bar, grabs Atreides by the neck, and drags him outside like he’s hauling a sack of potatoes. Atreides’ muffled protests trail behind him.
Cirrus drops him on the ground. “Problem solved.”
Atreides staggers around, dazed. Barry points and laughs. “No matter how many times I see that, I still piss myself laughing!”
Armin looks around. “So… are we decided on where to get supplies?” He fiddles with the interface on one of his fusion blocks.
Barry shrugs, “I’ve been around this place a while. I know a few spots. When you say supplies, do you mean combat or survival? Anyone who wants to come with me can. If Kira can fix my truck, that is.” He points down the road. “It’s about five hundred meters that way.”
Atreides and Chris nod to each other, "Screw this..." Atreides grunts.
"I think it's time we head out without these clowns," Chris motions for him to follow. The two leave town.
*****************************************
Back at the APC:
Drake throws his hands up. “I hit him. What the hell does it look like?” He jerks a thumb at Buddy. “So what if there was a little heat involved? He’ll live.”
Buddy keeps his eyes down, tugging at his handcuffs like he’s testing them for warranty coverage. “And you bastards accuse us of cruel and unusual behavior?”
Drake’s jaw tightens. For a second it looks like he might ignite again, but then he forces a breath, stomps to the driver’s seat, and growls, “Nick. What’s going on in town.”
Nick clears his throat. “Well… good news and bad news.”
Bruce leans in like he’s about to deliver gossip. “Oh man, this is gonna be good.”
Nick continues, “Good news: we’ve got a lead on the Chrome leader... and his name. Bad news: the guy who told us hired him for an expedition into Mexico and won’t say where he is.”
Alec winces. “Classic. Can't wait to skin that shithead alive...”
Nick holds up a finger. “More good news: the employer, his name is Ripper, is still hiring people for the expedition. If we sign on, he won’t let us nail the Chrome leader during the job, but we’ll be close enough to keep an eye on him. And once the job’s done? He's fair game.”
Bruce nods enthusiastically like he’s watching a cooking show. “Ooh, loopholes.”
Nick adds, “Plus, if Gruber Chekolovski dies, we can keep his head. Contract says bring him back or proof of death. Doesn’t say we have to do the killing.”
Alec gives a thumbs‑up. “Technicalities are my favorite.”
Drake’s eyes blaze. “Take the job! Nothing like earning a little extra along the way. I want the bastard dead!” He pauses, thinking, “Gruber… yeah. He’s a CS juicer captain. Decorated. Works well with mercs. I think that I’ve got his rap sheet back in Ishpeming.”
Bruce’s face twists, “Okay but... what was that stuff about Warren?” He looks genuinely hurt, “Did you know our friend Chris Valée was with a guy named Gruber when Warren and I were kidnapped? I didn’t wanna say anything ’cause I wasn’t even sure what was going on.”
Drake turns slowly, expression flat as a brick. “What.”
Bruce shrugs helplessly. “Chris proved himself a friend. I thought he might’ve betrayed him.”
Drake’s voice drops. “Let’s just wait till the bastard comes back…”
Lori trots up on her horse. “Alright, let’s load the APC and head back to town. We’ll sign up for the job, then get anti‑vampire supplies. Maybe convert the rail guns to shoot wooden rounds.”
Bruce perks up, “High velocity splinters sounds fun.”
Drake shrugs, “We have everything we need.”
Nick drives the APC back into town, parking in front of the bar. Kira and Barry stare at the Coalition Mark V like it’s a celebrity.
Ripper’s eyes go huge, “I can drive one of those! I’ve driven tanks, armored cars, but geez, where’d you get it?”
Lori hops down, “Where can we get water guns? And wood ammo?”
Champion gestures, “Load your horse,” to Lori.
Ripper watches Barry and Cirrus trying to out‑laugh each other over Mavis’s antics, “Well… looks like we’ll get along fine. First, fix Barry’s truck. Then supplies at the market Armin mentioned. After that, our quest begins.”
Armin pockets his fusion necklace. “I don’t need much. Maybe browse for electronics. Got a couple projects going.”
Champion loads his horse. Ripper follows him inside, but Drake blocks the doorway, “Who the hell are you?”
Ripper doesn’t flinch. “I hired these boys to help me. In return, they get their man at the end.”
Drake stands tall, “Hand him over now.”
Ripper smiles politely, “Can’t do that. But I can offer you a deal if you join me.”
Drake grumbles, “I heard… Let’s get moving.” oO(Worth a try)Oo he thinks bitterly.
He spots Cirrus, Kira, and Barry, “More baggage? Where’s Mavis, Chris, and Atreides?”
Ripper gives him a look that says, 'I’m unimpressed and also tired.'
Cirrus loads his gear into an APC locker like he’s packing for summer camp.
Nick calls out, “Everyone onboard! We better head out. Also, does anyone else know how to drive this thing? I’ve been at the wheel for days and my ass is starting to hurt.” He rubs his backside, then flops into a hammock, “Oh, Ripper! This baby’s gonna jack up the price of our help. Not every day you meet someone who owns one of these!”
Cirrus raises a hand, “I can.”
***************************
Barry leads the group down the dusty slope like he’s unveiling a national treasure. At the bottom sits his monster truck, which is a five‑meter‑long, big‑wheeled beast that looks like it lost a fight with gravity and was politely shoved closer to town.
He tosses his hat into the cab, ducks under the chassis, and pops open a couple of armor panels. The engine block greets him with the mechanical equivalent of a groan. A few “field modifications” appear to have been done by someone who believed duct tape was a personality trait.
The truck idles like it’s trying to take off, one tire is flatter than Barry’s last poker hand, the spark plugs look like they’ve been through a divorce, and the alternator is dying with dramatic flair. Barry throws his hands up, “Do I have a spare tire? Mega‑epoxy? A miracle? I need Kira!”
He preps the epoxy and hands it to Armin like he’s passing off a sacred relic, because he might. The alternator will need replacing. He figures that he can acquire one from one of the farm folks. Spark plugs? Easy. The sheriff probably has a drawer full of them next to his confiscated moonshine.
From the APC, Ripper leans out and hollers, “Meet us along the Rio Grande! Just follow our tracks!” He turns to the crew inside, “While those three fix the truck, we’ll get a head start. That thing can catch up.”
Drake’s eye twitches, “Where in the hell are Atreides and Chris?”
Mavis spots the sheriff interrogating the poor guy he punched earlier and decides that that’s his cue to quietly step into the APC. Cirrus attempts to wedge himself into the driver’s seat like a grackle‑tooth trying to fit into a teacup.
Drake throws his arms up. “And what the hell do you think you’re doing? WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?”
Bruce pats his shoulder, “Chill, man! They’re coming with us. Quest stuff. Ripper stuff. Just breathe.”
Drake grumbles, “Fine. Get our gear ready. Just in case,” as he stomps to the back and flops into a hammock next to Nick.
Mavis waves from the rear window as the APC pulls away. “Sorry ’bout that, big guy!” He pulls out a violin and immediately starts playing like a daredevil performing a stunt.
Lori leans in, “The two of them headed off on their own,” as she briefly glances up at Cirrus, who'd ran them off.
Drake sighs, “Figures…”
******************************
Later that day, the APC rattles across southern Texas. By nightfall, they reach scrubland and stop to stretch.
Ripper steps out with Robbie, “Alright, team. Wanna camp here or push on to the Rio Grande?”
Cirrus rumbles, “I’d rather sleep where there aren’t any sadistic bloodsuckers. And I need an armorer. This armor isn’t gonna fit itself.”
Mavis plays a violin riff, echoing out of the APC, that sounds like someone challenging the night sky to a duel.
Ripper nods, “Let’s rest here. Tomorrow we head to El Paso. They’ll have armorers. And things won’t be so hectic once the others catch up.”
Bruce and Robbie scout the area, “Nothing out there yet. Hope the others hurry.”
Mavis pauses playing as he peers out the APC windows, “Anyone ever fought a vampire? How do you fend them off? Also, where are the hot spots in Southern and Central America?”
Lori smirks, “Hotspots? Mexico. Just… Mexico. Weaknesses are wood, silver, sunlight, moving water. Lasers tickle them. Railgun rounds knock them over but just make them madder. That enough for you, Mavis?”
Mavis grins and hands her his fancy brown saddlebags, “Here, Lori. You can have these. I’ve got no use for ’em,” as he hops out of the APC and goes for a jog like he’s training for a vampire marathon.