I&C - Chapter 6 - Territorial Pissing

From the former PBEM and basis for the current game, we have archived the events of the original game in Chapters. Enjoy!
Post Reply
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

I&C - Chapter 6 - Territorial Pissing

Post by Chaser1 »

Chapter 6
Territorial Pissing
Current Party:
Drake
Alec
Lori
Jenna
Nick
Bruce
Lucas
Mavis
Champion
Lt. Juganlee
Cirrus
Armin
Barry
Kira viewtopic.php?t=147&sid=1c166348b87729a ... ef24906d5c
Ripper
Kival
Rhianna

Barry, Kira, and Ripper finally reach the others. Drake is still napping in his hammock like a man who has given up on understanding anything that’s happening.

Barry grins at Kira, “I’ve got wooden stakes and a cross if you want ’em. Consider it a thank‑you gift for fixing my truck.”

Ripper taps her shoulder, “Didn’t you get your advance yet?” He whips out a thick wad of credits like he’s performing a magic trick, checks her name off in his notebook, and hands her the cash.

Kira looks at the money, then at Barry, “Thanks, you two,” she says, pocketing the credits like she’s afraid they’ll evaporate.

Mavis spots a wide stretch of open ground, which is perfect for running, leaping, or whatever questionable stunt he’s planning. Twilight settles in, coyotes yip happily in the distance like they’re cheering him on.

Ripper starts a fire and begins heating up rations with the enthusiasm of a man who's accepted his fate.

Bruce steps outside. “So… do all of us get this one-hundred-thousand credits?”

“Oh yeah!” Ripper calls, “Anyone planning to come along, step right up!”

Nick follows Bruce out. “So we’re staying here tonight, huh? I’m gonna walk a bit, stretch my legs.” He says to Drake, Bruce, Lori, Jenna, Alec, and Mavis, with the “please don’t panic if I disappear” group. He removes his armor and trench coat, muttering, "I forget sometimes," and grabs his sword, and strolls off into the night.

Lori finishes eating, then starts sword practice, inspired by Nick’s dramatic exit. Cirrus sits beside the APC, cleaning his HI‑80 like it’s a beloved pet.

Barry watches Nick wander off alone, “Shouldn’t you go in a group of two or three? Or at least take a whistle?”

Mavis fires up his jetpack, buzzes Nick like a mischievous mosquito, and lands near a tree. He finds a long limb and starts carving stakes like he’s whittling for the apocalypse.

Armin pulls his sky cycle over, stretches with a raptor‑like screech, and sighs. “I could use a break.” He spots a hardwood tree, breaks off a branch, and starts cutting it into little chunks. Mavis is already carving stakes nearby. Armin lines up the chunks with his grenades. oO(They hate wood, huh? Then this oughta be a kicker…)Oo He laughs to himself.

Mavis finishes five stakes. Cirrus arrives to carve his own. Kira approaches Mavis. “Nice work. I’ll pay twenty credits per stake if you make me ten.”

He hands her one, “Sorry, these are mine. You’ll have to have sex with me if you want more.”

Kira gasps, “You could at least be creative.” She nudges him back with her foot. “Men. All the same,” she turns to Cirrus, “Same deal. Ten stakes. Twenty credits each.”

Cirrus nods and hands her a few immediately, proving he is both polite and efficient.

Armin admires his grenades, “Nice work,” he mutters to himself. “But this pistol won’t do much against vampires. I need another weapon…”

Mavis leans over. “Two thousand credits for two grenades.”

“Sure,” Armin replies, “I’ve got two left. And I need three stakes. I'll pay one hundred credits each,” through clenched teeth. oO(No time to haggle… but I’m probably making it up with the bombs)Oo

Barry, meanwhile, is bathing in the river and laughing like he’s heard the funniest joke in the universe.

Nick walks past the carving crew. Without breaking stride, he vibro-swords the entire tree in one smooth motion. It falls inches from Mavis. Nick smirks and continues walking.

Champion sits inside the APC, grim and silent, clutching vampire‑killing weapons like he’s waiting for fate to knock on the door. He hasn’t slept in two days, only meditated, preparing for the inevitable.

Mavis hacks the whole tree into stakes. He tosses three at Armin’s feet. “Pay up.”

Armin jogs over, hands him the grenades and three hundred credits. “Careful with these. Wood or metal inside, they’ll still rip you apart if you’re too close. Use them on crowds or as a last resort.”

Mavis jets off toward the other tree. Cirrus heads back with Armin.

On the way, Mavis flies over Nick, slows down, unzips, and pees on him from above like a deranged sprinkler. “I’m marking my territory!” he shouts, waiting for Nick’s reaction.

Nick feels the warm drizzle, gets some in his eye, and snarls, “You little bitch!” He focuses hard, imagining Mavis’ jetpack sputtering out... and it does. Nick wipes off, discards his shirt, and marches toward Mavis.

Mavis crash‑lands, stumbles, and reattaches his armored jock plate. Nick storms toward him, but then they both freeze. They sense danger. The campsite goes silent.

Mavis crouches low as Nick scoots closer, “Damned Bursters,” he mutters. Back‑to‑back now, they brace themselves.

“I think we can put our little squabble behind us,” Nick grunts. “We’ve got bigger problems.”
**************************
Back at camp:

Jenna and Alec claim hammocks like they’re calling dibs on the last two slices of pizza. They flop in, hoping for a decent night’s sleep and absolutely not interested in preparing for the journey south. Drake, meanwhile, has been snoring all day, waking only if someone wanders within one foot of him, like a guard dog with a terrible work ethic.

Kival pulls out another cot, sits down, and organizes his gear with the seriousness of a man alphabetizing his socks.

Robbie plugs himself back into the APC’s power supply and recharges, humming faintly like a happy toaster.

Barry is bathing in a waterhole not far from the fire, laughing loudly enough to scare fish. They’re still a day away from the Rio Grande. Mid‑laugh, he freezes, swearing he sees something move out in the darkness. Champion notices it from inside the APC, but can’t pinpoint it. His eyebrow twitches ominously.

Lori continues practicing her sword forms, recalling everything Nick and Champion taught her. She glances at Champion’s face. He looks like someone who just smelled danger… or bad chili.

Ripper peers through binoculars toward the farthest tree. He spots Nick and Mavis and starts chuckling to himself. Then he lowers the binoculars, sensing the mood shift from “camp shenanigans” to “something is definitely watching us.”

Bruce scoots closer to the fire. “I swear something’s watching us.” His neck hairs stand up like they’re trying to escape.

Cirrus and Armin return to camp. Cirrus immediately feels something’s off. He watches Kira and Armin laughing at Nick and Mavis’ antics, then notices the tension creeping in. He scans the area, catches movement in the corner of his eye… turns… nothing.

Suddenly, the campsite lights up like someone turned on stadium lighting as Lori holds a Globe of Daylight overhead.

Champion’s instincts snap to full alert. He switches to night vision, scanning the darkness. But he sees nothing but a glare thanks to Lori's globe. “Everyone stay close to the APC!” he shouts, “Watch for glowing red eyes. If you see any or think you see any, then vampires are out there.” oO(I hope so)Oo he thinks, oO(Because they’re about to die)Oo

Kira, now thoroughly spooked, suits up, pulls her pistol, and stares into the darkness like it owes her money.

“Kira,” Cirrus whispers, “toss me a few stakes. I’ve got a very bad feeling about this place.”
************************************************
After training with Jedite in New Lazlo, Centak suddenly announces he has “something important to find up north,” which is exactly the kind of vague statement Jedite has learned not to question. Centak leaves, and Jedite returns to his training, only to immediately track down the rival energy‑blade master who'd attacked him. The guy is stronger, faster, and probably better dressed, but Jedite still manages to follow his trail across the countryside.

During his travels, he spots an APC rolling past a farmhouse and meets Ranma, a well‑trained Glitterboy pilot looking for work and allergic to boredom. Ranma listens to Jedite’s story, nods sagely, and joins up without hesitation, like he’s signing up for a gym membership.

A day later, Jedite runs into an old friend: Chris Valée. Chris explains he lost the group in a small town called Empire City. He seems genuinely sad to see Jedite leave again, then flies north in his flying titan like a melancholy metal bird.

Jedite and Ranma head to Empire City, where they find Atreides sulking at a bar. He tells Jedite the whole group went south into Mexico and adds, with dramatic flair, that he feels “betrayed.” Jedite pats him on the shoulder, unable to look at his bruises and scrapes.

By nightfall, the two follow the APC’s tracks into the wasteland. From atop a hill, they spot distant headlights crawling across the scrubland.

Ranma narrows his eyes. “Looks like we’ve got company. And I’m not fond of meeting strangers in the middle of the night. That’s when all the unwholesome stuff comes out.”
He taps his armor. “Good thing I’ve got enhanced sensors. Gimme a sec.”

He activates his thermo‑imager. “Alright, let’s take a closer look,” he says, grinning at Jedite like this is the best part of his day.

Jedite squints. “Wait… that APC looks familiar.” Then he corrects himself. “I mean, we should check for faint heat signatures. Or maybe contact Drake and tell them they’ve got company.”

Ranma nods. “This suit can run sixty miles an hour. I can cover ground fast. But I don’t want to spook your friends. They look jumpy enough already. Got their radio frequency? If so, we can call them and see if they know who’s out there.”

He grins wider. “If not, you go talk to your friends. I’ll flank whoever it is from another direction. This suit’s fast, so nothing out here outruns me easily.”

Jedite decides to head straight for the group. He takes off running, cloak snapping behind him like he’s auditioning for a dramatic entrance competition.
**********************************************
Armin really hopes someone else makes the first move. oO(Lots of heroes here)Oo he thinks, oO(No way I’m volunteering to be the first pancake on the griddle)Oo He casually drifts toward Cirrus because if something ugly jumps out of the dark, standing next to the giant seems like a solid life choice.

He reaches for his rifle… and grabs air, “Left it on the bike!” he mutters, angry at himself.

Then he hears an electrical hum. A purple blade snaps into existence in the distance, slicing at someone he can’t quite see. The attacker remains invisible.

“Geez!” Armin yelps, immediately dropping flat to the ground like a fainting goat. He reaches for a grenade… then freezes. oO(Too dangerous. Might nuke one of the guys. Stakes are useless if I can’t see squat. Crud! )Oo Left with only his Wilk’s pistol and a cold knot in his stomach, he stays down and watches.

Barry, meanwhile, is casually taping crosses onto his truck headlights like he’s decorating for a holiday only he understands. He finishes, spots the purple laser sword waving around, shrugs, and strolls into the APC.

“Mind if I tape crosses on your floodlights too?” he asks cheerfully, “Vampires hate crucifix shadows. Don’t know why. Pagan symbol, maybe. Oh! And also, can I hook my truck to your generator? Batteries are low,” as a laser sword is actively trying to murder someone in the distance.

Kival is already asleep in a hammock.

Robbie reboots and announces, “Incoming transmission…” in his usual robotic voice.

A crackling voice comes through: “I’m relaying a message from a man, named Jedite! I see two people near a tree, and two more in the opposite direction. I see your APC, overcycle, horses, sky cycle, monster truck, and buggy. Also, I'm observing a faint heat signature near those two way out there! Over!”

Drake nearly falls out of his hammock. He lunges for the radio, "This is Drake. How far away are you guys? Over!”

Ripper keeps watching Mavis and Nick, frowning. They haven’t returned, and something is definitely happening near them. The radio chatter only makes him more distracted.

Lori hears Nick yelling something irritated into the night. Mavis is spinning around like he’s trying to spot a mosquito with a vendetta. She overhears the radio too, and her stomach tightens.

Bruce’s worry spikes. “I’m headed out there!” He starts jogging toward Nick and Mavis, neck hairs fully upright.

*************************************************************
Nick notices Mavis staring at something beside him. He follows his gaze just in time to catch a glint of spinning metal.

He dives forward, tackling Mavis out of the way as a dark purple laser blade snaps into existence with that familiar crackling hiss of angry energy. A second, green blade flares beside it.

Nick forward‑rolls to his feet, sword ready, only to realize no one is holding the blades. They retract instantly, plunging the area into night blindness. Mavis sees them for half a second longer… then he’s blind too.

Nick shakes his head, steps a few paces away from Mavis, and shouts into the darkness, “HEY! You too chicken to fight me like a man? Or do you just know you don’t stand a chance without your little bag of tricks? Come on, chicken! One‑on‑one! Or are you not man enough?”

He squints into the dark. “I know who you are! You’re the same bastard from New Lazlo! Come on! fight!” He plants his sword in the ground like he’s staking a claim.

A voice drifts out of the darkness, smooth and ominous, “Your friend leaves, and you’ll have your match, pyrotic one. You don’t know what you’re getting involved in. Best leave it alone. Go back.”

Silence follows... except for Bruce, who can be seen way off in the distance, sprinting toward them like a determined marathon runner. A distant, heavy, mechanical thudding echoes across the scrubland.

Nick crouches lower. “Mavis, go back to the APC. NOW!” When Mavis stands his ground, he shouts again, “GO!” Then to the darkness: “It’ll be me and you. No one else. Show me what you’ve got!”

Nick waits for Mavis to leave… only to see a Glitterboy approaching from the north, its silhouette unmistakable. Cirrus is running toward it on a tangent, probably thinking “big shiny thing = friend or problem.”

Mavis sighs and sputters his jetpack back to life. He takes to the air, flying back toward camp, thrilled his jetpack somewhat works again... until he also spots the Glitterboy.

“Hmmm… maybe I should stick around,” he says, immediately changing course to follow Cirrus.
***********************************
Cirrus hears the heavy thudding of power armor and immediately yells, “Son of a bitch!” before sprinting toward the noise like he’s trying to outrun his own fear.

Barry, meanwhile, loops a silver cross around his neck, straight from his truck’s glovebox, and turns to watch the glowing purple and green blades whipping around in the dark.
“Wow, that’s a cool‑looking laser sword,” he says cheerfully. “If that guy dies, I call dibs!”

Inside the APC, the radio chirps again, “This is Ranma, Drake, the guy in the power armor. Make sure your people know I’m friendly. Jedite’s heading straight for you. I’ve got a position half a mile from that energy signature. Looks like someone with laser blades. I’ve got thermals, ultraviolet, and a Boom Gun that can hit a squirrel in a tree from a mile away. If you want me to send a few rounds at this guy, I can. It’s loud, though, so I’d prefer to shoot from a range where I don’t shatter anyone’s eardrums. Also, if you want a quick resolution, have your friends run away from this guy and I’ll splatter him across the landscape at range.”

Drake grabs the radio. “I don’t know what the hell is going on out there, but if whoever it is, is about to hurt one of my men, so yeah, blow ’em away. Find out what’s happening and get back to me. Over!”

Outside, Jedite’s hovercycle headlights appear, cutting through the scrubland.

Drake side‑eyes Lt. Juganlee. “Looks like a friend of yours is about to get ripped to shreds.”

Buddy shrugs. “Trust me, I don’t know who it is. And don’t take me south. I’ve heard the stories about vampires, man.”

Drake ignores him and checks the APC’s optics. “Hmm. Looks like Nick’s about to have some fun. I doubt he can take that guy alone. If this guy can beat Jedite, then Nick’s toast.”

He patches through to Ranma. “Get ready to shoot the bastard, with the glowing eyes, if our friend starts losing.”

Jedite approaches, and Drake mutters under his breath, “Welcome back, old friend. Hope the training helped.”
************************************************
Ranma zooms in on the Blade Master through his sensors. The guy’s armor gives off a massive heat signature, like someone wrapped themselves in microwaved tin foil. Meanwhile, the other figure near Nick suddenly takes off flying toward a giant of a man. Ranma notices the big guy barreling straight toward him and mutters something that's probably not polite.

Back at camp, Ripper starts casually repacking his belongings like this is all part of the evening entertainment, “Well, that’s obviously not a vampire,” he says cheerfully. He glances at Lori. “Young Miss, you look tense. Don’t worry! Your friend sounds like he’s doing fine. Maybe we could use the guy he’s fighting, eh?”

Lori spots Jedite. Relief flickers across her face. oO(Though honestly)Oo she thinks, oO(what good is a laser blade against a vampire? Assuming this blade‑swinging maniac doesn’t pulverize everyone first…)Oo

*************************************
The blades master rises out of the dirt nearly twenty feet away, brushing himself off like he just finished a casual nap underground. He drops his armor and energy blades with theatrical flair. Now fully visible, he’s about Jedite’s height, same eerie glowing eyes, though his glow is green instead of silver, like he’s trying to be fashion‑forward.

He gives Nick a confident smile, “I am Karita. My master is Cyr Kithra’s nemesis. I have no quarrel with you. You may back out now and hand Jedite over. Or we duel. I am prepared.”

He walks forward, stopping four feet away, settling into a neutral stance... the kind that says "I’m relaxed, but also ready to ruin your evening."

Nick recognizes it instantly. A heartbeat later, Karita explodes forward, jabbing so fast Nick barely registers the movement. Nick’s guard comes up too late as silver‑black speckles dance at the edges of his vision like a malfunctioning disco ball.

He stumbles back as a second jab comes in, barely blocked. Karita’s hand snaps open, fingers slicing upward past Nick’s defense. He palms Nick’s face and shoves him backward like he’s rearranging furniture.

Nick staggers but stays upright. Desperate, Nick tries to dive and grapple, which is a bold move, but Karita simply kicks him backward, knocking the wind out of him.

oO(Can’t… breathe… oh shit… not gonna last long…)Oo he thinks, gasping as he tries to stand back up, yet failing.

Karita stops, looking down at him with the expression of someone admiring a cute puppy trying to fight a vacuum cleaner.

Nick finally catches his breath. The pain is real. Blood drips from his nose. He tastes iron. His two front teeth wiggle like they’re considering early retirement.
**************************************************
Drake radios out with the tone of a man who’s already bracing for disappointment, “Alright, Ranma… do you have a clear shot on him? Over.”

Robbie turns his head, “Our hatch lasers and plasma missile launchers are within range of the target.”

Drake stares at Robbie, shocked he even understands the situation, “No. Blade masters can use that to their advantage. Get the plasma missiles ready. Let’s hope Nick runs when he sees them.”

Jedite arrives, looking exactly the same as when they left him in Ann Arbor, which is impressive, considering everyone else looks like they’ve aged ten years in the last ten minutes.

Drake leans out of the APC, “Jedite, that ‘friend’ of yours is about to beat the hell out of Nick. Can you go help him?”
******************************************
Karita stands over Nick, expression flat as a dinner plate, “Do you surrender? Last call,” he says, sounding almost bored. “With all due respect, I held up my end of the bargain. Fair fight. You’re quick, you’re smart. Maybe someday you could be a great Blade Master yourself. I could use a student to finish my training… or I can finish it by finding Jedite.”

He pauses, then adds with the tone of someone offering a polite exit from a terrible party, “Do you really want to end it like this? A fight for pride?”

He watches Nick carefully, then continues, “Honestly? You could’ve killed me back in New Lazlo if I’d stayed longer. You already beat me. Take the win and leave. My quarrel is with Jedite... for the disgrace of his master.”

Nick spits blood, “The fight isn’t over yet. You’ll have to knock me out or kill me before it’s done.”

He rises back into his stance, wobbling, bleeding, absolutely outmatched, but still Nick.
*************************************
"He's right on top of your friend. I don't want to risk hitting him. I should have a clear shot soon..." Ranma radios back.
*************************************
Karita’s eyes narrow, the glow sharpening as Bruce’s distant shouting cuts through the night, “Nick, don’t do it! Leave your pride and RUN! Jedite will fight him!”

Karita tilts his head, grin curling like he’s enjoying the drama, “Well, well, well… looks like Jedite IS here.” He gestures lazily toward the approaching noise. “Funny. If he’s around, why are you out here instead of him? Let him honor you, Nick. That is your name, right?”

His grin fades, not completely, but enough to show he’s noticed something shifting in the air. His posture tightens. His eyes flick toward the horizon, toward the camp, toward the incoming chaos.
**************************************
Cirrus, understanding more of the situation, changes trajectory towards Nick. Mavis flies behind.
**************************************
Champion stiffens, every instinct screaming that something evil is approaching Nick and the rogue Blade Master. His hand tightens on his weapon. His eyes narrow.

Barry, meanwhile, is having a very different reaction. He yanks the charging cable off the back of the APC, leaps into the driver’s seat of his monster truck, and immediately lays on the horn like he’s announcing a parade.

“There’s a vampire coming!” he shouts, spinning the wheel and aiming the truck toward Nick and Karita. He looks fully prepared to floor it and run over anything that looks even mildly undead.

Kira jumps into the truck beside him, arms full of stakes like she’s ready to host the world’s most aggressive craft workshop.
***************************************
Nick holds his ground, still trying to look heroic despite the fact that he’s bleeding, wobbling, and very obviously outmatched. Karita makes a sharp, strange hand gesture, the kind that usually means something bad is about to happen, and silently mouths one word, “Run.”

Nick barely has time to process it before a glint of metal shoots upward, twenty feet into the air, and extends with that unmistakable sliding‑energy crackle. A shriek follows. Something hideous slams into the ground, fast as Karita’s green blade flares to life.

“Damn it!” Karita snaps. “My blades won’t hurt it! For now, Nick, we postpone. Unless you want us both dead. Cover me! Use your flames to stop it, and I’ll try to shove the damn thing into them!”

Nick flinches at the sudden shift from duel of honor to team‑up against nightmare beast, then nods, “Okay, fine, for now we team up. Use your damn powers to get some wood, will ya? We need to stake it, then I can toast its ass. Got that?”

He yanks his sword out of the ground, ready for round two, but this time with a monster instead of a martial artist.

**************************
Ranma begins firing at the attacking vamp...
*************************
Kival, now awake, bursts out of the APC like he’s been waiting all night for an excuse to be dramatic. He hops onto his hovercycle, pops in some Pat Benatar - "Running with the Shadows," blaring like his personal battle anthem, and revs the engine. With one hand on the handlebars, he pulls out his plasma cannon, unhooks the bola entangler and plasma ejector, and launches his hovercycle toward Nick like a one‑man action movie.

Mavis arrives next, tossing Nick and Karita each a wooden stake. They both catch them simultaneously, like they rehearsed it.

“I respect your honor, Nick,” Mavis says, squeezing his canteen so water splooges out in a heroic but very ungraceful arc, “but there’s no reason to die for it!”

Karita flings his stake at the vampire, the vampire ducks like it’s done this a thousand times. Mavis sprints past, trying to douse it with water, but misses as the creature jumps back with unsettling agility.

Flechette rounds buzz past like angry hornets. Shockwaves boom across the scrubland as Ranma fires round after round. Each time, the vampire moves or uses Nick or Mavis as cover, making a clean shot impossible.

Nick launches bolts of fire, but the vampire walks through them like it’s strolling through warm mist.

Cirrus arrives, swinging an enormous tree trunk like he’s trying to hit a home run. He misses completely, splintering the trunk into the ground in a spectacular explosion of wood chips.

The vampire lunges at Mavis, claws swiping wildly, and misses everything as Mavis scuttles away with surprising speed.

Bruce takes one look at the chaos and immediately runs the other direction, deciding that bravery is optional tonight.
****************************************
Ripper bolts into the APC like he’s clocking in for chaos duty. Drake shouts over his shoulder, “Alec! Jenna! Watch the prisoner!”

Ripper floors it, driving the APC past the first tree stump. Jedite jumps out mid‑roll, silver blades snapping to life with a dramatic shhh‑CRACK as Kival and the APC keep barreling forward. Barry’s monster truck roars by right after.

The Glitterboy, now fully visible thanks to its blinding muzzle flashes, finally stops firing. The Mark V and Kival arrive at the scene, followed immediately by Barry, who looks way too excited for someone approaching a vampire brawl.

Lori steps out, then immediately backs against the APCl. Alec wakes up in a panic, rummaging around for something, “Stupid cock sucker!! Where is it?” he growls, digging through gear like a raccoon searching a dumpster.
**************************************
Rhianna had been traveling for hours, the desert wind tugging at her clothes as she made her way back toward Empire City. Atreides had been the one to break the news; Kival and Armin headed south, following the very ex‑friends she’d hoped never to see again, chasing some quest into Mexico.

She didn’t hesitate. She followed.

On the second night, distant booming rolled across the wasteland, but not thunder, not artillery, but something louder. She pushed harder, her pace quickening with every echo.

Eventually she reaches a hill overlooking the scrubland. Below her, chaos unfolds. A battle raging between some creature and her scattered friends. The Mark V APC barrels into the fray, headlights slicing through the dark. A Glitterboy stands out clearly now, its muzzle flashes lighting the desert like lightning strikes as it fires round after round toward what looks disturbingly like a human silhouette.

Then she spots it; Kival’s hovercycle, right in the middle of the mess.
*********************************************
The vampire snarls, batting away one of Jedite’s flung stakes like it’s swatting a bothersome insect. But Karita’s stake flies true, embedding squarely into its sternum. The snarl twists into a screech of raw pain.

Champion arrives in a blazing leap, his flame sword carving a clean arc through the air as he cleaves the vampire’s head off in one decisive strike. The creature collapses. The body shrivels rapidly, curling inward until only brittle bone remains. A ghastly smell rises, something between burnt leather and rotten fruit.

Sighs of relief ripple across the battlefield.

Ripper immediately starts looking around for more wood, “Well, folks… if I remember right, we gotta burn the head and body separately to actually destroy it. And we need to water that stake in its sternum. I’m not taking chances on the stake burning first and the vampire coming back for seconds.”

Drake turns a hard glare toward Karita, “Well? What do you want?”

Karita ignores him completely, walking past Jedite toward Nick. The moment he passes Jedite, tension crackles as he smirks, “Soon, we shall talk. Assuming this burster has anything left to say to save you again.” Then he faces Nick. “You had something you wanted to say. Let’s go talk.”

Nick massages his bruises. Nothing’s broken, but he’s pretty sure he’s never been hit that hard in his life, “Give me one second. I wanna make sure that thing doesn’t get back up.”

He walks over and gives the corpse a little kick, just to be sure. Then he focuses, imagining pure oxygen fueling the fire. When he opens his eyes, a towering white‑hot flame erupts, torching the remains into fine ash.

Satisfied, he leaves with Karita, confident the rogue Blade Master isn’t about to kill him.

Champion stands tall, proud of ridding the world of another leech of the night. But he knows, painfully, that this wasn’t the one who killed his parents.

Ranma’s optics sweep the horizon… and catch a lone figure standing atop a hill, silently observing the battle.

****************************************
Rhianna watches the final moments of the vampire. Kival, who's amongst the crowd, steps back as the fire turns bright. He jokingly pretends to warm his scaly hands.
***************************************
Lori realizes that the group must have won, judging by the gathering around super bright fire. It helps that it's lit up by the headlights of at least three vehicles, including the APC. She produces binoculars to get a better view, "Well, they've stopped running around so I guess they nailed the vamp. Question is what's happening with the Blade Master?"
**************************************
Nick and Karita:

Nick clears his throat, still sore everywhere, “Okay, so… you’ve got this honor thing with Jedite. Totally get it. But you also said if you had a student, you could forget about your little honor thing, right?”

Karita nods, grimacing like he’d really prefer punching something instead of talking.

“Well,” Nick continues, “you said I’d make a great Blade Master with proper training. So I figured, why don’t I become your student? You spare Jedite, you finish your training, you keep your honor.” He glances back at the group, making sure the vampire isn’t pulling a surprise encore, “So what do you say? Also, we could use your help when we go into Mexico.”

Karita shrugs, “You managed to save your friend… for now. Jedite and I still need to talk.”

Nick nods, “Okay! Then we have a deal. One more thing; I wanna be present when you two talk. I don’t want my friend and my new master killing each other.” He bows, trying to look respectful despite the bruises, “Let’s head back and talk things over with the rest so they don’t try to kill you.”

The two return to the fire. Karita approaches Jedite. They stand tall, proud, lowing‑eyed, like two statues about to argue philosophy or punch each other through a wall. Karita nods, “You and I should talk now. Let's talk at the APC. All of you may come if you like…” He gestures toward the APC as his armor and blades float neatly into his waiting hand.

Cirrus pokes through the ashes with a spare stake, feeling a cold twist in his gut, a sign of things to come. He rises and heads back toward the APC.

Kival scoots his hovercycle next to the Mark V like he’s parking for a tailgate party. He heads back in and lays down again.

The Glitterboy stomps into camp, loudspeakers blaring: “Well, that was anti‑climactic. Sorry about all the noise. My name’s Ranma, and I’m a friend of Jedite’s. Apparently he knows most of you.”

He climbs out, nodding casually toward the woman on the hill, “Is the chick on the ledge a friend too, or should I go ask what she’s doing at our little get‑together? She’s looks kinda cute.”

Barry leans out the window of his truck, pointing, “Let’s go check out who it is.”

Mavis stretches, exhausted, “Well, I’m settling down for the night. I’ve had my fill of vamps and blades today.” He spikes his tent, builds a fire, and carves four stakes into crucifixes, “I’ll give two thousand credits to anyone who can fix my jetpack. It hasn’t worked right since Nick did something to it.”

********************************
Jedite and Karita:
Karita smiles at Jedite, except not warmly, but with the polite menace of someone who’s been waiting years to deliver a speech. “You have your fire‑fiend friend to thank for saving you. Your master married my master’s sister without his blessing, dishonoring him. I was told to complete my training by defeating you. You, by far, haven’t completed yours. So you may be able to train with me.”

He gestures toward Nick, “Nick has decided to train with me. That completes my training. But… you must speak to your master. This quarrel is over.” He walks away without waiting for Jedite’s reaction. He nods to the gawking survivors, “All is fine now. I have no quarrel with any of you. I must travel with you if I am to help Nick complete some unfinished business.”

Nick calls out, “Hey! Does anybody have soap or shampoo? I need to wash this piss off me! Didn’t someone find a water hole?” Barry points him toward the spot he bathed earlier. Nick jumps in immediately, “Hey Mavis! What the hell did you drink? It stinks like hell!”

Ripper and Drake exchange a look; the kind that says, "Sure, why not, everything else today has been insane." Ripper shrugs. “We don’t care, but you’re not getting paid for this mission. We already have enough people.”

Drake heads back into the Mark V. Inside, the CS SAMAS lieutenant screams in agony as Jenna eases up on her bio‑manipulation. He passes out with a final, dramatic wail.

Drake chuckles darkly, “Remember that scream… I’ve heard it all too often.”

He turns to Jenna, “Let’s not do that anymore. It almost makes me feel like a hypocrite.” He looks bothered, sits on his hammock, pulls out his diary, and starts scribbling.

Alec has already given up on sorting his weapons, “I need to organize…” then lies down and instantly starts snoring.

Bruce wheezes his way over to Nick, “Well? What’s going on?”

Nick splashes water over his face, “I’ll tell you in a bit. Lemme finish washing up.”

Mavis spots the same waterhole Barry used. Nick sees him looking at it as Mavis finishes pitching his tent.

Ripper sits by the fire, digging into his meal, "Woo! Good shit I’ve got here. Anyone hungry? MRE! Hobo stew I stole from a CS dead boy.” He laughs, “By the way, let’s all get some sleep. Busy day ahead in El Paso.”

Barry leans back in his truck, “So tell me about that Coalition prisoner you’ve got. What are you gonna do with him?”

Everyone just stays quiet...

**********************************************
Ranma notices the woman on the ridge waving at him. She’s striking, with long, flowing brown hair, green‑and‑black armor that shows more than it hides, and a stance that says, "I can drop you from here if I feel like it."

He waves back, slowing his pace to something less “giant metal murder‑tank” and more “friendly neighborhood Glitterboy.” He studies her outfit appreciatively, though with his armor on, it’s hard for anyone to tell.

Rhianna pulls out her crossbow and loads one of her undead‑hunter bolts. Ranma sees this. He’s not overly concerned. He waves again, like he’s greeting a neighbor across the street instead of someone aiming a weapon at him.

Rhi stays wary, Glitterboys are not exactly subtle, but the Boom Gun is silent, and she figures if he wanted her dead, she’d already be a crater. She tries her com‑link, “Friend? I wish not to harm you. I am merely on the lookout for more vampires.”

They finally meet at the ridge’s edge. Ranma realizes she’s even more beautiful up close. The kind of beautiful that makes a man forget he’s piloting a walking artillery platform.

After a brief exchange and a quick introduction, the two march down toward the camp together; one armored titan and one crossbow‑wielding wanderer, descending into the scrubland like they’re arriving fashionably late to a very strange party.
*********************************************
Robbie rotates toward Mavis like a polite blender gaining sentience, “Sir needs repairs?”
He immediately snatches the jetpack, examines it, and hands it back, “It needs a new motor. Power supply is good.”

Jedite settles into meditation, finally feeling some peace after the chaos.

Nick finishes his bath and dresses quickly. Bruce spots him and walks over, “So, what’s up?”

Nick waves him off, “Long story short? I made a deal with Karita. I’m his student now. That finishes his training, and he won’t hunt Jedite.” He leans into the APC, grabs his sleeping bag and pillow, then climbs onto the roof, “So… anything else you wanna know, my friend?”

Bruce stares at him like he just announced he was marrying a tornado, “Yeah, one thing: what the hell are you thinking? That guy almost killed you, and now you’re his student? He must’ve hit you harder than I thought.” He shakes his head, “I don’t trust him. He might slit our throats at night. Unless I get him first.”

He starts toward the Mark V.

“Bruce, wait!” Nick calls. “I know it’s hard to trust him, but he doesn’t want to kill us. Now that I’m his student, he has no reason to. You psychopathic nerd... Don’t even think about killing him. He’d kill you before you could say SHIIITTT! So do me a favor and leave him alone.”

Bruce sighs, “But if he tries anything, I’m taking one of the rail guns and blasting his ass.”

“Fine. But he won’t. He’s probably one of the best people we’ve got right now.” Nick peers over the roof, “Promise me you won’t try anything to make him angry.”

“Okay, I promise.” Bruce mutters benign threats as he enters the Mark V. Ripper peeks out and tells them to quiet down.

Nick stares at the stars. oO(I’ll have to keep an eye on that boy…)Oo He drifts off.

Bruce peeks back out, “Did you know Drake was military before he joined us? He was beating the shit out of that pilot. Drake’s hiding something… I don’t know what…” Nick stays quiet. Bruce continues anyway, “Oh! And Chris worked with Gruber before he joined us. And Warren was Drake’s close friend, maybe his bodyguard. Go figure…”

Nick shakes his head. oO(Drake’s past is his own…)Oo

Kival lies across his hovercycle seat, quietly listening. After popping a few dents out of his armor, he drifts off too.

Mavis scowls at Robbie, wanting to rip the repair bot’s head off and pee into it, “Hey Robbie, can I use your motor?” He asks it like he genuinely expects the robot to say yes.

Barry pokes around the APC, playing with the observation equipment. Sometimes he checks for intruders, mostly he’s just thrilled to have new toys. “If we’re splitting into groups, we should list our specialties. Each group needs an even smattering of expertise.”

He puffs out his chest. “I’m a warrior with experience fighting supernatural forces.” He poses dramatically, then deflates.

No one responds. Everyone is either asleep or telling him to shut up.

He peeks out toward Kira, “I’d like Kira in my group. She can fix my truck if it breaks again. How about it, Kira? Want to ride with me?”

More cries for him to shut up.

Lori enters the APC and lies down in her hammock as Barry keeps trying to find something to do. He checks inventory. Gets bored. Walks around. Gets bored. Climbs into his truck and pulls out a huge archaic book. Finally, The camp sighs in relief.

Then...

Mavis scrambles out of his tent like he saw a spider the size of Alec's Dodge Rocket. His eyes are wide and glassy. He trots away from camp, laughing, stumbling, disturbing the quiet night. He stops. Looks up. Laughs harder as he's clutching grenade pins.

A heartbeat later, a violent explosion lights up the night sky, waking everyone. Pieces of Mavis rain down across the camp like cannibal confetti.

OOC: Final words from Matt, "So sue me! I'm a poor sport."
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7