Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Adventure starts in Fort Hammer with our PCs as coming of age teenagers trying to find their place in the world.
Dexkalus
Grunt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2026 1:47 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Dexkalus »

Jezabel stiffens up when joe starts to grill her, then she nervously tries to respond but stuttering instead " I I ii... I ccan.... ( deep slow sight and now embarrassed that she stuttered ) I'm just a girl". She recomposes herself then states "she can see minimal light and some shadows" deeply hoping it works and he believes it and wondering if they actually believe any of it.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Chaser1 »

She stiffens like someone just asked her to recite the alphabet backward., “I… I… I… I can…” she stammers, cheeks going pink. She freezes, mortified.

Joe, trying to be helpful, waves his hand at her like he’s fanning courage into her lungs. It doesn't help.

“I’m just a girl,” she blurts.

Joe’s face does a full three‑act play:
Act I : Confusion.
Act II : Concern.
Act III : What in the actual hell does that have to do with anything?

But she powers through anyway, ignoring every face he’s making, “I… I can see light and some shadows,” she finishes, hoping desperately he’ll buy it. oO(Please believe me)Oo she thinks, mentally crossing every finger she has.

Joe frowns, shrugs, and shifts right back into interrogation mode, “Oh. Sorry to hear that. So, what can you tell me about your former employers?”
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Dexkalus
Grunt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2026 1:47 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Dexkalus »

Jezabel thinks then says "not much I just did what I was told with magdalens help obviously, they were jerks. Magdalen could probably tell u more. Jezabel straightens up is there anything else or can we go, it's cold out here.
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by jawildey »

Dane quietly listens to the dialog back and forth, glad that Hummer didn't offer up any additional information about the boy's identity. After everything that's happened today, he feels mentally drained. He doesn't mean to stare, but Jezebel's eyes and tattoos are intriguing. His mind starts to wander and he starts speculating on what significance the tattoos and her clothing might have...he also wonders why a blind woman would want tattoos since she can't see them herself, anyway. [Skill: Rogue-Streetwise]
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Chaser1 »

Jezebel lifts her chin, trying to look confident even though her voice still wobbles. “Not much. I just did what I was told, with Magdalen’s help, obviously. They were jerks. Magdalen can probably tell you more.” She folds her arms, shivering. “So… anything else, or can we go? It’s cold out here.”

Dane quietly listens to the back and forth dialog, glad that Hummer didn't offer up any additional information about the boy's identity. After everything that's happened today, he feels mentally drained. He doesn't mean to stare, but Jezebel's eyes and tattoos are intriguing. His mind starts to wander as he starts speculating on what significance the tattoos and her clothing might have... oO(What do they mean? Why those shapes? And why would a blind woman get tattoos she can’t even see?)Oo

He watches her closely, feeling that something about her story doesn’t quite line up, but he can’t figure out what piece is missing.

Magdalen raises a finger like he’s about to deliver a lecture, “They said we’d get paid and rewarded for loyalty, once we found all the yellow metal.” He sighs, gaze dropping to the snow. “But one of the others said they’d kill us… so we wouldn’t tell anyone where it was.”

Joe frowns, then glances at Dane with a knowing nod before turning back to Mindy, “Hey, I’m willing to pay for one of Belle’s amazing meals. Is there enough?”

Mindy leans out of the doorway, practically swooning at the sheriff. She’s been single for a while, even though he isn’t, and it shows. “Yeah!” She spins back inside and hollers, “Mom! MOOOOM!”

Belle shouts from the kitchen, “What, dear?”

“We have two more joining us! That means no dry leftovers!”

Dane catches Maggie sighing softly, the kind of sigh that says I have reached my sensory limit and may dissolve into snow at any moment.

OOC: LoL Dane needs "eyeball a fella"
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Dexkalus
Grunt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2026 1:47 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Dexkalus »

Jezabel get a little nervous about being stared at wondering if her cover is blown and if it's all about to explode. She tells Maggie to guide her back in and finish dinner. Jezabel is trying to think of a way out of this blind facade and what/where to go, new place with the same problems.
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by jawildey »

[OOC: Streetwise was the best match in Dane's skill set. Either there was nothing to tell or the roll didn't go in his favor this time.]
Coming out of his internal musings with a start, Dane says, "Umm... thanks, but Meg and I just ate." he points at the car where Meg is [OOC: apparently] still waiting in the passenger seat. He'll try to figure out what it is about Jezabel's story that doesn't add up...but without staring this time. Instead, he thinks to himself oO( I'll have to be more direct and ask her about them if I have the chance at some point. Keep it casual, though, like asking about the weather. )Oo
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Chaser1 »

Jezebel feels the stare before she even turns her head. A prickling down her spine. A warning, as if Dane’s figured her out. What if her cover’s blown? Everything could go sideways fast. She's experienced it so many times before.

She forces a smile, “Let’s go finish eating, Maggie.” as she gestures for him to lead her, already scheming escape routes in her head, already imagining where she’ll run if this whole thing detonates.

Dane snaps out of his daydream like someone slapped him with a cold fish, “Umm… thanks, but Meg and I just ate,” he says, pointing toward the woman in the passenger seat of the beat‑up pickup.

His brain churns. He tries to piece together the Jezebel and Maggie puzzle; the odd behavior and inconsistent feeling of something amiss. oO(I’ll have to be more direct)Oo he thinks, oO(Ask her casually… like asking about the weather)Oo

Then it happens... a flicker. For a split second, Jezebel’s eyes focus on something, then stop. Maybe he imagined it. But the question hits him hard: Is she really blind?

Joe, oblivious to Dane’s spiraling thoughts, nudges him with sheriff‑like authority, “Come on, kid. We’ve got a job to do... and there’s dessert! Go grab Meg. I bet it’s been nearly a year since you’ve had Belle’s apple pie!”

He isn’t wrong. Dane remembers the last time, before the festival, hanging out with Vi, Megana and Kendal, here in Megana’s grandmother’s house. The pie was sweet with just the right sour bite, the crust crumbling perfectly with every chew.

“Meg!” Joe bellows, waving, “Come on! Let’s have some pie!”

Belle pokes her head out of the doorway, expectant, eyes wide, then disappointment, “Oh! I thought Megana had come home!”

Joe freezes, embarrassed, realizing Meg and Megana have nearly identical names.

Miss Hoffman climbs out of the truck. She's medium height, blonde, calm posture, quietly beautiful. She smiles at Mindy, nods to Jez and Maggie, then passes Dane and enters the Damodred residence.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by jawildey »

Dane watches Meg’s back as she enters the house, trying to calculate what variable changed to make her suddenly give him the cold shoulder. He runs through recent interactions...tone, phrasing, body language… but nothing obvious surfaces. With no actionable ideas, he files it away as either a puzzle for later or simply one of those human idiosyncrasies that defy logical explanation.

Rather than stand there analyzing it further, he follows her inside, letting his attention shift to the environment. He takes careful mental notes of everything around him that might be relevant or significant — layout, objects, faces, exits — his mind automatically cataloging details, always processing, always solving whatever puzzles life decides to throw at him.
Dexkalus
Grunt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2026 1:47 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Juke Joint Wendy

Post by Dexkalus »

Jezabel lingers around for a min the tells magdalen to lead her inside. Following magdalen she keeps a careful eye on Dane as they head in. Jezabel starts to drift off in thoughts while eating dinner .o0 dose my kind not really exist here and if it wasn't for Seth my life would have been ok 0o.