Level 0 - Picking a WP

Use this area to discuss Rifts specific topics only. Any other discussions should take place in The Main Tavern.
Forum rules
Use good judgement. Any discriminatory or derogatory remarks will not be tolerated.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Level 0 - Picking a WP

Post by Chaser1 »

So one of my players brought up an interesting point since we have a game with characters starting at level 0. What if someone picks a WP as their skill? I thought about it. I would suppose that since this is a skill that they learned at a young age, they would automatically have the bonuses from level one, and progress to level 2 in that skill once they achieve level 1 and pick their occ.

What do you guys think?
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Level 0 - Picking a WP

Post by jawildey »

I think for ease of keeping track of things, I would make it L1 bonuses for L0 and L1 unless it's a bonus that you could nerf while they're at L0.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Level 0 - Picking a WP

Post by Chaser1 »

The reason why I'd agree to push the skill faster is the result of sacrificing other interests to attain the skill and perfect it at a young age. If it stays the same upon reaching level 1, then why pick any WP when boxing, hand 2 hand basic or even demolitions is available? This would be the type of kid that, at 10-16 years old, they've gained the same basic skill and knowledge that a trained warrior would have. This same kid skilled in rifles, swords or bow and arrows would have the same skill and knowledge as a soldier or hunter; Or a footman wages on a swords and shields battlefield. They would know the proper etiquette when handing a sword to someone else (hilt first). They'd know not to peek down the barrel of a gun, keep finger outside trigger guard and safety on when not in use, and to always check the clip and chamber upon receiving a new weapon. Proper maintenance of your chosen weapon and maybe even a little history of their craft.

Mind you, usually the initial skill of level 0 characters will give an idea of what occ or profession the character chooses to take. Sometimes something major steers them down a different path (IE kid can fire a rifle or ride a horse quite well, but decided on being a body fixer or cyberdoc).

In closing, I've seen people even use the skill sewing to save lives. And no, they didn't use it to stitch a wound. I've watched players pick spelunking and become the most important character in the group while the pcs are trapped in a labyrinth of tunnels. Not to mention the player of a level 0 who nearly made a multi million credit empire with film/video skills (You don't wanna know. Very adult). But with Weapon Proficiencies, besides raw early knowledge, it seems unfair if they taper off at level 1.

This begs the question, do the current characters, in DMH campaign, all deserve their free level 0 skill to start at level 1 proficiency and advance to level 2 upon reaching level 1 to support this premise?
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Level 0 - Picking a WP

Post by jawildey »

With the logic you described, I would agree with your last statement. The initial skill percentage should start at L1 whether it's WP or Cooking.
Image
Joe - Administrator
Image